Go Live Radio Show

Go Live Radio Show
Hip Hop and Beyond

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Grammys Gots No Love for Real Hip Hop:That Aint Nothing New

 
 
Did any of you hip hop fans watch the Grammys Sunday night? Well, let me say that I did not actually watch the Grammys live, but I did record it on my DVR. So after I worked the night shift, I came home Monday morning and watched the show people call "The biggest night for music." I did not expect a MTV,B.E.T type of award show.(We are talking about the Grammys). What I did expect is a white rapper winning best rap album or best rap song(whatever they call it these days..lol). It never fails when you are dealing with the Grammys. I have posted on many social media websites on how the Grammys play as the "majority" of  music listeners who vote on what they consider the best in all genres of music of  that year. There are not too many people who are familiar with Kendrick Lamar's talent or music. To say it's not fair that Kendrick did not win Best Rap Album could be argued. But lets not blame Macklemore who went out on a limb in his post-Grammy-accepting interview and clearly said that Kendrick had the best Rap Album of 2013.
But it's not that simple Macklemore, and you know this. lol
To me, I think the Grammys will always pick an artist in Rap that does not appear to be too aggressive to the other artists of rock, pop, country, jazz etc. There were more white rappers in the game before Macklemore actually took off(google Yelawolf,Machine Gun Kelly,Iggy Azalea..etc). You see that none of those guys were nominated.(I wonder why?hmmmm)
I read a post by the homie Emcee Logic who gave his insight on the whole "so-called" conspiracy.
I want to share it with you guys. Logic wrote:
 
Alright. Here's my take on Maclemore and the grammys....its a lengthy ramble. Brace yourselves...
 
 
I love hiphop...like, real hiphop. Not just a few rappers that got lyrics, but the culture, the history, the pioneers, the Zulu nation era, the evolution, the de evolution, the geniuses, the idiots, the DJs, writers, breakers emcees. the converasation, the story tellers, The peace love unity and having fun foundational, culturaly rich, invented by the poverish 4 elements plus 5... KRS added true HIPHOP. Everyone is welcome. Even if you're terrible. Somewhere, somebody will love you if you're consistent enough...if even for just a moment, someone will.

So I say that to say, I never cared about the Grammys...it has nothing to do with what I do, or with hiphop culture. The same ppl who issue these awards are the same people who don't and never have understood us. So why would you expect them to understand our culture just because they decide to give an award out?

Look, Maclemore isn't a "bad" rapper. I just don't listen to his music. Nothing he raps about appeals to me, my surroundings, my upbringing and what concerns myself or my people.. but that's ok. His lane is different. There's a whole lot of suburban white kids, and all kinds of other people who love him and are inspired by him.and I think that's great. Is his music hiphop music? Ehh, sure.let's be fair, He's a dude rapping about his struggle concerns and concepts respectively so. So let him live. We should know by now the Grammys been on some bullshit. Nas been selling records for 20 years and never won a single one of them. Point and case. Like I said, the people giving out these awards are not part of hiphop culture, are not contributors and they do not identify with us. So 9 times out of 10, you'll be met with disappointment if expecting anything more..

Should Kendrick have won it? Sure. His album was excellent, hes a platinum selling artist, and his work ethic and inflewence has been phenomenal since it was released. But hey, all the greats get robbed right? I'm exited to see how this incident will translate lyricly for him. More fuel for the fire I think.

So quit crying Hiphop! The Grammy never gave a F&%k about us and won't start now. Stop looking to the weirdo awards to hand you a statue. Were hiphopers. Stop acting like bishes. Cut the sensationalism out. Who.cares if the guy won over your favorite rapper...go smoke some weed and listen to MF Doom records...you'll get over it.

With love,

-Emcee Logic

Please excuse my typos...


Well Said homie #GoLive
 
 
 
Download Emcee Logic's new mixtape "Soul Not For Sale" here:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment